Holy Redeemer Parish
was established in 1926. Monsignor Walter Brennan was
the first parish priest. Before 1926 the Corner Brook
area was part of Sacred Heart Parish Curling which was
established in 1884.
In 1927, Most Reverend. Henry T.
Renouf, the Bishop of the Diocese of St. George’s, at
the request of Father Walter Brennan, asked the Sisters
of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (PBVM) to
take care of the educational needs of the parish. A
community of six Sisters with Mother M. Xavier as
Superior was appointed. On October 2, 1927 a new
convent, dedicated to the Sacred Heart, was blessed. St.
Henry’s school, called after Bishop Renouf, opened on
Father Michael Hayes came as an
assistant to the parish in 1928. In 1931, due to the
shortage of priests in the diocese, Bishop Renouf asked
the Priests of the Congregation of the Most Holy
Redeemer (CSSR) (Redemptorists) to administer the
parish. Mount Bernard Ave, where the cathedral is
presently located, was called after Father Bernard
Coffey, the first Redemptorist pastor of the parish.
From 1926 to 1956 St. Henry’s
Chapel in Townsite, served as the parish church. In 1946
the seat of the diocese, situated until then in St.
George’s, was officially transferred to Corner Brook
Shortly after the arrival of Bishop Michael O’Reilly in
1947, plans were made to build a new cathedral. In 1956
the cathedral on Mount Bernard was officially opened and
blessed. The title Immaculate Conception was added to
the official title of the parish as the first church on
Sandy Point, which served as the pro-cathedral for a
while, was named Immaculate Conception. The official
title then became, Parish of the Most Holy Redeemer and
of the Immaculate Conception.
The Redemptorists moved to St.
George’s in 1947 and Father Leo J. Drake became the
rector of the Cathedral parish. He was succeeded by
Father Charles Costello. The Irish Christian Brothers
arrived in the parish in September, 1954, with Brother
A.F. Brennan as Superior and as principal of Regina High
School. In more recent years, for a brief time, the
Sisters of the Holy Rosary and a Sister of the
Immaculate Heart of Mary served in the parish.
> Donations -
> Covid 19 - Parish
> 2020 Catechetic Schedule
When inclement weather cancels or delays school opening,
Mass for that day is automatically cancelled.